Monday, March 5, 2012

Collaborative Ups and Downs

This was a great learning experience. As I mentioned earlier, I do not have much experience with collaboration. It was interesting, in my case, that my composers decided to split up halfway through the project, because I got differing results from each composer. Kari listened to my musical input and put careful consideration into the soundscape she composed. She also interpreted my ideas in her own artistic way, which added more to the soundscape than even I could have anticipated. I don't think either of us were offended or put off when the other suggested something, and we both respected each other's ideas. I'm very happy with Kari's video.
Connor is a talented artist in his own way, but we did not exactly see eye to eye. It's ok though because, like I said, he is still talented and has good musical ideas...he just wasn't interested in my ideas. I can relate-I hate other people's ideas!

I think all of this collaboration stuff relates to Nicolas Bourriaud because he talks so much about how the world that we live in today is contained in a rectangle that is the screen. I had a lot of trouble trying to convey to my composers that my video was not just a video but a performative piece. I think a lot of people will just see it as a rectangle on a screen but it is more than that to me. I guess this is the "trap of illustration" that artists in the digital age fall into sometimes.

You can view Connor's and Kari's videos below:

Connor's Video

Kari's Video

2 comments:

  1. I think that Kari´s soundscape did capture the idea that your piece was not just a video, it was a performance. I think Connor wanted to turn your performance into his own experience and make it ¨happy¨in some parts which kind threw me off a little. I am glad you were able to take it as part of the experience and I am also really glad you had both sides in the collaboration, the one were things were worked around, and the one were it was a little harder to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking about the difference between the performance itself and viewing it on the big screen...Footprints and canned cherries and ice and breath became mythic when projected. You pushed to get beyond ye olde "trap of illustration" to convey an idea through a range of visual cues. The composers added to that in divergent ways.

    ReplyDelete