Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Project Therapy?

My last project of the term isn't what it would have been if bad things weren't happening in my life right now. I'll leave it at that. I'm not about to start using Blogger as therapy. Instead I used my project as therapy. I wanted to experiment with larger themes of body vs. mind in relation to a larger context, ie; the universe or the world, but also show how technology plays into these themes in the digital age that we live in today, the whole time relating all of this to my personal life. Think of it as a journal entry in video form, though slightly less angsty and hopefully more eloquent.

The text was written by me and placed over disorienting shots of the body (when I say disorienting I mean that you just can't tell what the heck you're looking at). I then used a lot of effects in Final Cut to show A.) what Final Cut can do and B.) how technology can be used to distort very natural forms.

Does my project have a relational aesthetic? If I think about it in comparison to Christine Hill, I would have to say absolutely not. Christine reaches out to people rather than focusing on her own little world like I have done with this project. She involves other people in her work, she talks with them, and she interacts with them. She benefits from her work financially, but she is more generous with what her work provides other people. I think my project might only speak to someone if they were going through the exact things that I am going through right now. You could stumble upon Christine's work at any time and benefit from its genius and heck, maybe even buy a new t-shirt.

I suppose I would have to step out of my journal entry a little bit more if I want my work to be relational. You can view my video below:

Brain Dance

3 comments:

  1. Your piece had many layers that worked extremely well together. As mentioned in the critique, your choices for sound/voice/words meshed wonderfully and the pulsating rhythm of the visuals provided any interesting narrative. Color seemed to be focus as well, as even the slightest distortion of figure made the body parts seem eerie and alien. Overall, Brain Dance was disturbing, compelling and incredibly well thought out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy a lot the narrative of this piece, it is very beautiful. I am glad you put both voices for the narrative because it is understandable, and I think it is a very important aspect of your video. The images overall are great, it is so easy to interpret the forms in so many ways and it is crazy where your mind can take you and what it can mean. I think that in general as humans we do not pay attention to our bodies and we just want to morph it to an idealistic version. The sync between the body and the mind is so bizarre and hard to comprehend, and our bodies also think by themselves but we control that with our minds. I do not know if it makes sense, but for me it is almost like two individual organisms in one person, and it is hard to work them together in harmony sometimes. I hope I did not take this video too far beyond your concept and what you were trying to portray, but I think it is beautiful!

      Delete
  2. Your video is strong--a statement that exploits not only visual culture, but the capabilities of current video editing technologies to make make a point about being human right now. The content has increasing relevance as bodies are altered and changed based on fashion through surgery, medications, exercises, and an array of regimes. There was much theory written about these ideas of body...Body without Organs, Body as consumer fetish object.

    ReplyDelete