Monday, March 25, 2013

I Never Thought I'd Say This but I Used Up All The Pixy Stix at Woodman's

I don't know if last week's Spring Break Art Bootcamp efforts were as fruitful (candyful?) as I wanted them to be, but I know that I at least made some progress, so I guess that's all that matters. I have made a very significant discovery in my quest for kitschy bad art, and it is Vista Print.com's Marketing Products > Promotional Materials > Mugs:


VP also offers key chains, stress balls, and USB flash drives (to name a few) with your custom images on them. This is a dangerous website that could allow me to take faux-National Park memorabilia to a whole new level. I am now envisioning a gift shop-like installation of foodscape memorabilia rather than a pretty, organized, everything-hung-at-the-same-level exhibit that I had previously imagined. I even had a suggestion to put these items up for sale. After seeing some undergraduate work for sale at Madison this weekend and feeling slightly repulsed at seeing undergraduate work for sale, I don't think I will be doing that. That is all.

Now, whenever I put up a new foodscape, picture it on a mug.


I think that this rendering of DVNP in Pixy Stix is actually pretty bad (bad bad, not good bad), but I finally figured out how to make clouds in Photoshop, so I can die happy now. I also made this version of it:


...which I think works better with this particular foodscape, because of the whole "Death" Valley thing. DVNP definitely needs a lot of work because it is harder to make convincing photographs with this flatter subject matter, but I like it better than my Badlands attempt, which gave a new definition to the term BADlands. Instead of giving National Parks Fun Facts this week, I wanted to give some Pixy Stix fun facts.

1. The main ingredients in Pixy Stix are Dextrose and Citric acid. (Hyperreal sugar?)
2. Pixy Stix were originally sold as a drink mix called Frutola but its creators found that children   were eating the mix right out of the package, so it was instead sold as the little (or big) straws that we know today, spoons included (I will admit that I sometimes do this with hot cocoa mix - reminds me of that weird show, "My Strange Addiction.")
3. Pixy Stix are owned by Nestle, which has a sub-brand called Wonka (a man who semi-inspired this project).
4. Pixy Stix are useful for things other than creating art projects, like maintaining a balanced diet.

I made that last one up.

1 comment: