Monday, March 11, 2013

This is What Happens When You Have Too Much Input and You Don't Know What's Going On or Where You Are or Who You Are

If you read my last post (which, who am I kidding, I know that only Josh reads my blog), you will know that I have been engaging in artistic self deprecation lately. I decided I was going to use these feelings of extreme self loathing to (ok, here's the part where you think I'm going to say that I channeled my anger into making better art) create a completely sarcastic, kitsch, over-the-top border-lined B.A.D. art project. If I can't be Evan Baden, if I can't embrace the idea that digital photography isn't real photography, and if I can't rebuild all my foodscapes and then re shoot them in analog like I should (I should, I should, I know I should) then I might as well not even be doing this project. However, I'm going to do it, because a small part of me remembers why I wanted to do it in the first place, and that I had a message, or an idea, or something, a long, long time ago, that seemed really important. And if I can't do it right then I'm going to do it so wrong that it hurts a little bit. Anyways:






If there's one thing I now know it's that this project is going to end in post: postcard, poster, or something like that. The new idea is to mimic the cheesy National Park memorabilia such as the mock vintage posters the parks use for promotion. This one is particularly awesome:


The posters will act like screenshots of a film that I am going to create of the foodscapes (I'm going to create it, I swear). In the end everyone will be confused, like, "Is this about advertising food, or parks?" And everyone will be hungry. (Fingers crossed). I'm debating whether I should make postcards in Moo or make posters in Vista Print. Maybe both? Either way, it's going to be superbly, awesomely, beautifully bad.

1 comment: