Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Keeping the Water Levels High and the Sprinkle Prices Low

Well, it is still freezing in Appleton. In fact, it is colder now than it has been for the past four weeks. Today the high was 9 degrees, which is a lovely spring break temperature, as generally agreed by absolutely no one.

Although the balmy temperatures are tempting me to do nothing more than lay outside in a swimsuit, yesterday night I stayed in and had yet another adventure with corn syrup, sugar, and of course, frosting. What could be more appetizing? The inspiration for the latest sugary wonderland was American Samoa National Park. This is not a very commonly-visited park in the U.S., and in fact, most people (including myself), probably don't know much about it. American Samoa is an unincorporated territory of the U.S. located in the South Pacific Ocean. It is the southernmost territory of the U.S. and the only National Park south of the equator. Although I have my reservations about the U.S. territorialization (that's not a word, I made it up) of American Samoa, the park itself was created to preserve tropical rain forests and the surrounding coral reef, so I really can't complain about that. And, of course, it gives me something to look at while the Appleton temperatures continue to plummet. I mean...rise. Steadily. Into the 80s.

Check it:


The main ingredient was these lovely things:


WHICH WERE ON SALE (!!!!!!!!!!$$$$), which is awesome because, obviously we need our sprinkles to be provided in copious amounts AND to be dirt cheap. I know I sound totally anti-sprinkle here, but, I am actually 100% pro-sprinkle, especially when they add that extra sparkle to this newest candy_sugar_food_scape. This _____scape was executed rather quickly, as I am becoming more and more comfortable finding materials and arranging them in a way that will allow them to appear to scale in the camera. The added "lens flare" in Photoshop truly completes this photo. Without it it would be flat, and the lighting would actually make sense (check out how the light source is not illuminating the lighter side of the mountain), and that wouldn't be fun at all.

I thought that American Samoa was an appropriate addition to the parks collection because, despite the valiant efforts that are being made to preserve coral reefs, they are projected to disappear by mid-century if the ocean temperatures and carbon dioxide concentration levels both continue to rise.

No comments:

Post a Comment