Sunday, March 17, 2013

Why See the World When You've Got the (Fake) Beach?

Instead of choosing a traditional spring break this year like the majority of my peers, I opted for the still frozen streets of Appleton, Wisconsin, and my 40-hour a week library job to entertain me. Despite my tone and a general consensus from almost everyone I know that I am wasting my life, I am perfectly content to relax and work on art over the break. I wouldn't have felt comfortable on an amazing six-day backpacking trip through Canyonlands if I knew there was one less candy landscape sitting in the back room at Wriston, right? (...?).

Someday, Utah, someday.

But not today. Today I made this:


Using these:


It was a sticky, smelly, and disgusting mess, but totally worth it to make an homage to the place that was my home for the majority of the summer: Yellowstone National Park. If you haven't gone, you should go, dummy. Also, if you haven't gone, you probably don't understand this latest concoction. Here's a reference for you:


Grand Prismatic Spring, the largest hot spring in Yellowstone. It only looks like this on a clear day, and you can only see it if you have your own personal helicopter, or a set of really strong legs to climb up a nearby hill (Fairy Falls Trail). Or, if you have a couple bucks and a Woodman's nearby, you can buy some really gross mint jelly and make it for yourself. Happy Spring Break, y'all.

1 comment: