Saturday, April 6, 2013

All Good Things Must Come To An End The Bad Ones Just Go On Forever

The end is near. Not because I want it to be, but because it has to be. And also not because the newest candyscape looks like the apocalypse. It's because in less than a month I have to submit my art for the senior exhibition. This means tying up the loose ends, figuring out all the stuff that I have procrastinated on...basically, doing all the not-so-fun stuff. My goal was to have 10 candyscapes and today I made what will qualify as number 10 (I have made 13, actually, but 3 of them just aren't going to work).

I don't know how I feel about calling this "the end" of the work I will do on this project. It's certainly not the end of work that I will do with this particular message. This is what I care about, and it's the direction I think art should be taking in the 21st century (not SPECIFICALLY, just GENERALLY [I'm saying: environmental art because I think environmental issues are some of the most pressing that we face in the world today. Or maybe, to me, the most heartbreaking ones.]) This is also the first time I've engaged in a long-term project, and I am amazed at how much it evolved over time, despite my resistance to its evolution. At this point I think it could keep changing forever, and it would never be perfect, and it would never be at the place where I feel like I'm ready to put it in a gallery and have people stare at it and judge it. Maybe art is always liminal, but not because it's unfinished, just because ideas and context are always changing. Truthfully I don't know, but I do know that at the end of May there will be some art on some pedestals in a gallery and whether I feel like it's finished or not I have to put it there in order to graduate. Call me sappy, but I've become more attached to this process than I ever could have imagined.

Speaking of which, here was today's process:




As you can see, it's a volcano made out of one of my three least favorite foods in the whole entire world: LICORICE. EWWWWW. Not to mention, a ONE POUND BAG of it. Don't even get me started.

Here's a fun licorice fact:
  • Over-consumption of licorice is said to be toxic to the liver (and to the soul).
Here's a fun Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park fact:
  •  It encompasses two active volcanoes: Kilauea, one of the world's most active volcanoes, and Mauna Loa, the world's most massive volcano (I guess mine is Kilauea).
Today was the first time I didn't eat any of the materials while crafting. Needless to say, I'm quite hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment