Monday, April 29, 2013

P Poppin'

I finally got to listen to my video on huge speakers last week and realized that the audio is terrible. So I've got some work to do there. Particularly on the letter "P." According to Johnie I'm a "P Popper." But then again, everyone is.

If you've read previous blog posts such as this one: Blog Post, you will already know what my video is about. (To J&J: I'm not going to post it in this post because I have already posted it so many times on this blog and because the audio isn't fixed yet.) For the purposes of Digital Processes I will analyze it in the context of Baudrillard. The video only works if my project is conceived as a "real" fake National Park/amusement park/ Candyland. It should then be compared to the "real" promotional National Park videos and/or documentaries. These are often highly edited so that the parks are still perceived as pristine, untouched "wild" places where no humans have gone. They neglect to show the park concessions, cabins, RVs, garbage, sidewalks, and camping sites that litter the park. They either show close-ups of the flora and fauna of the park or show spanning aerial views. They never show the human view of the park, which would reveal all of the "amenities" listed above. This kind of documentation of the parks leads people to believe that they will be having a rugged, back country experience every time they visit a park, when in reality you have to apply for a back country permit to experience anything even remotely pristine, and the commercial, popular parts of the parks are similar to any amusement park or tourist attraction you could visit that isn't in nature.

What my video is doing is trying to call attention to these discrepancies by playing up the "fake" aspect of the video. The footage of candy landscapes is clearly not real, and not trying to be real. I used fake lighting and a fake background so that it oscillates between looking like some kind of nature "set" and a food advertisement. However, it adds another component of real because some of the dialogue was taken from "real" documentaries, and because it is trying so hard to document a "real" adventure that a park "consumer" had in one of the fake "parks." Take that, Baudrillard.

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy you are doing this! I am really into the protection of National Parks. Especially the one closest to me which is obviously in Ecuador, Yasuni National Park. The illegal wood cutters, mining and petroleum companies come in and take incredible pictures of the park. Making it look like it is perfect and preserved. The sad reality is that most of the rivers have been contaminated and the flora and fauna and dying from the pollution. I think this is a very important topic to bring up and your work is a very unique and fun critique to how we view parks and what the reality is. Most people are so proud of these places but have never even been there, not experiencing what they actually look like. I mean yeah, I would like to imagine there is jaguars and monkeys hopping around the perfect green trees in a perfect sunny day, but it is just not how it is. Also I still smell your photos when I see them haha. like actually, I can smell them. ok bye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Mari, I'm really glad you can relate to this project. That's what I'm going for. I don't necessarily even need people to like it, I just want them to understand it and maybe relate to it a little bit.

    ReplyDelete