Thursday, October 30, 2014

Polka Dot PSA

Attention: I love polka dots.


I am surrounded by polka dots all day at work, and then some more when I come home, because I have a lot of them in my wardrobe.


I recently investigated the Wikipedia page on Polka Dots, it's hilarious.

"The pattern rarely appears in formal 
contexts, however, and is generally 
confined to more playful attire such as 
bathing suits and lingerie."

I also found some more peculiar polka dot facts:

Artist Yayoi Kusama (dubbed "The Queen of Polka Dots") has worked in polka dots for over seven decades. In 1974 she admitted herself into a mental hospital and has been there since.

Yayoi Kusama, Transmigration, 2011 [Source: Complex Style]

The Portland Hotel Society (PHS), a nonprofit group that helps people with drug addictions, set up polka dot-covered crack-pipe vending machines in Vancouver to provide access to safe and clean crack-pipes.

Crack-pipe vending machine [Source: Quartz]

It is clear that Wikipedia underestimated polka dots and their ability to make appearances on "non formal" items. Imagine if they appeared on other things on a regular basis: Hammers, toothbrushes, hubcaps, street signs, buses, cereal boxes, government buildings. 

It would be a crazy, polka dotted world. 


I think polka dots need to be taken more seriously. 

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment