Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore + Bonus Questions

Every once in awhile, take a step back and remember that nature is the best artist.
Photographs from Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Michigan:























**BONUS BLOG POST**

My friend Alli (who wrote a post for me awhile back) wrote me these fun questions for my birthday. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

1. What is your favorite blog to follow? I really enjoy looking at John Shimon’s blotchyblobs blog. There’s always something morbid, insightful, or humorous to look at…sometimes all three at the same time. A “guilty pleasure” blog that I like to look at is Face Hunter. It’s this independently wealthy dude who travels around the world taking pictures of beautiful people in beautiful cities. Everyone likes a little eye candy...

2. What art-related book changed the way you look/think/feel about art? This might sound incredibly cheesy, but I actually always think about The Girl With the Pearl Earring when I am looking at portraiture. I think about the part where the artist Vermeer forces the protagonist to pierce her ear, even though it cannot be seen in the painting. It always makes me wonder what interactions between artist/subject happen while a painting or photograph is being created. Also, the book Just Kids was influential, but not in the way most people probably would guess. I actually hated the book because Patti Smith’s writing was so bland. It made me feel like, “Wow, she’s this famous poet/artist and I could write this book ten times better than she did.”

3. Favorite work of art? Wow, hard question. I am not sure if this counts as a “work” in the traditional sense, but I love the Heidelberg Project in Detroit. I love it because it shows the kind of healing influence that art can have at the grassroots level in damaged communities. Maybe I'm an idealist, but I wish all art would aspire to be as altruistic.

4. Least favorite work of art? Anything by freakin’ Cindy Sherman. Also, The Dinner Party, by Judy Chicago.

5. Best thing to say about a work of art when you don’t get it but want to seem profound? “It reminds me of [insert artist’s name here].”

6. Worst thing to say about a work of art when you don’t get it but want to seem profound? See above.

7. Most embarrassing thing that has happened to you in a gallery/museum? This is a good one. I actually went to the Milwaukee Art Museum my freshman year of college wearing a see-through dress that I didn’t realize was see-through until I was under the museum lighting. You should have seen the look on the docent’s face! (She was an old lady, of course).

8. (In the style of Art21’s opening sequence…) Art_________s. This was a hard one - Art recycles.

9. A dead artist you are happy is dead? I was thinking about this the other day…I would have to say Frank Lloyd Wright. He wasn’t a very good person, and we need to stop putting these autocratic white men up on pedestals.

10. Best piece of art criticism/theory? I still love Nochlin’s “Why Have There Been No Great Women Artists” even though I don’t like Nochlin, or her other stupid articles.

11. What material is underused/underappreciated in art? I would have to say…cat hair. Just kidding! I don’t think this necessarily counts as a “material,” but I would have to go with iPhone photography because of the way some people abuse it on platforms like Instagram. iPhone cameras are incredible! They are comparable (although on a much smaller scale) to high quality digital cameras and people don't even realize it. It's this powerful tool that people just keep in their back pockets and use for selfies. 

12. What is your favorite chocolate dessert? Anything chocolate as long as there isn’t any fruit in it. But mostly, brownies.

No comments:

Post a Comment