Friday, July 1, 2016

In Progress #2

How long have I been here now? I have no concept of that. The days are really unimportant. I was shocked to find out it's almost the 4th of July. The only indicator of time is that I don't have to do farm work on the weekends. Otherwise it all sort of blends. 


I've come way farther on my project in the short time that I've been here than I thought I would. I've still got lots to do, though. I've been "designing" (quotation marks because I suck at designing) a book in Blurb, trying to put all of these words into an object that people might pick up and read. 


I've also conducted a few more interviews, and am realizing all of the holes that need to be filled in this RV story. Here's another short excerpt: 

"An RV is astronomically less expensive than a house. They run anywhere from $9,000 to $100,000, with only class A motorized RVs exceeding this price. There’s no typical customer. That day at the dealership I saw everyone from older couples to single women roaming around the lot, asking questions like, “What’s the best model to buy if I’m trying to take a trip to all the National Parks?” The dealer explained with his careful patience that there is no “best” model, but the smaller ones are better to start with, because they require less repairs.

A few customers were amazed at the spacious interiors. Even smaller models can comfortably fit three beds, a table with seating, a fridge, a TV, closet, a bathroom with a shower, and a microwave. At one point, an older couple with a robust and youthful enthusiasm joined us on a tour of a standard size travel trailer. I watched the wife pick up the fake flowers on the table, circling slowly around the interior, brushing the ugly upholstery with her fingers and whisper to her husband, “I think we can do this.” RVs are essentially tiny houses. Two people can live in one comfortably year-round if they wanted to, and there are many who do.

The dealer showed me around three more models, each one more luxurious than the last. I liked the homey feel of the travel trailers, and I could see how a couple or a family could have a fun time in their little home away from home, frolicking across the country in one of these models. I noticed that despite the cold, each one was cozy and warm inside, and I lingered longer in each to avoid the wind. After a while the dealer seemed bored so I thanked him for his time and told him I would continue to think about a purchase. On the way out I glanced at the used electronics store. There are worse things that people try to sell you, I thought." 


My last update is that I'll be launching a Kickstarter or Gofundme campaign shortly to help me fund the printing of this book. Are you prepared to support an esoteric project about mobile living?

No comments:

Post a Comment